Larry’s Story

Larry hated his life and what he’d become: addicted to alcohol, heroin, marijuana, crack and other mind altering drugs.

Larry was born in Paterson, New Jersey.  He grew up with three brothers and two sisters.  When I spoke with Larry about his early life, he said, “Life seemed to be great, but a closer look would show that my family was dysfunctional and messed up.”  He was reared in a two-parent home, but his mother and father were both alcoholics who left the children, as Larry states, “unmanaged and unmanageable.”   Larry stopped going to school at the age of 12.  By this time he was a drug addict and was wandering away from home.  Larry says that he called it “adventuring” but the court system called it running away from home. He soon found himself in shelters, institutions, jails, becoming very knowledgeable about “evil ways.”

I actually met Larry for the first time in 1966, the year after my public profession of faith. I served in my church’s “Summer Workshop in Missions” working with a small group of neighborhood kids. Larry was one of those children. I would not discover this fact until the early 1990s when I interviewed Larry for placement in a Christian rehab facility. It was a standard application, and included information on place of birth and any church affiliations. We discussed how we came from the same town and spent a lot of time reminiscing about Paterson. Then we talked about early church-going. Larry shared where he grew up, which was the Christopher Columbus apartments  (called, “the Projects”). When I shared that my church was just two blocks away, he asked what church that was. And when I told him it was Northside Community Chapel, he said he attended their Vacation Bible School. More questions, more discussion led to the fact that he was in my class!

For years Larry was “in” his addiction but would not come to Tenth Church for help or anything else. It was the care of a Tenth member that changed that. Bess lived near where Larry “put his pillow” (the steps of the synagogue a block from Tenth).  Larry was a fixture on that block. People knew him to be non-threatening, and so, greeted him. Some residents even paid him to walk their dogs. Thus, Bess was familiar with Larry. One day, instead of saying hello and passing by, she stopped and asked if he would like to share a sandwich. She sat on “his steps.” They ate together and she asked if he was aware of Tenth’s homeless outreach and their Sunday Bible study and dinner. According to Bess, Larry wasn’t ready to go to church. But, on an extremely cold and wet day the next winter, he decided he needed to get out of the cold and get a hot meal. The relationships that he established there would last a lifetime and bring him to new life.

When Larry was 16, he came to Philadelphia (where his grandmother lived) to look for his father who had left.  He said that his mother was very sick, in and out of nursing homes, and “was unable to help us.”  Larry says, “I needed guidance bad, I needed something.”  When Larry got to Philadelphia he was told by his grandmother that his father had already left for Tennessee.   He was “saddened,” he stated.  Not wanting to return to Paterson, he stayed in Philadelphia. Larry states that his grandmother was a born-again Christian but, about himself he says, “I was not saved—nor was I ready to be.”  He would visit his grandmother, but not stay with her.  “I was homeless but did not know it.  I was roamin’ the streets, adventuring again, feeling no pain.”

Soon Larry found a job, an apartment, a girlfriend, and a car.  “I thought I had it made and more.  Then I lost it all.  One big ride downhill.  With a strong drug and alcohol addiction I finally wound up strung out, homeless, and helpless.”

During his years living on the street Larry shared bottles, butts, crack pipes, and needles.  He shared the fact that three people who used the same heroin needle as he did became HIV+ and died.  One of these was his sister.

Over the years, Larry was in and out of recovery. After a series of relapses, Larry had fallen back into his addiction big time. He was back to sleeping “his steps” and looked horrible. He came to see me one very hot August day. I had seen him the day before wearing a clean white tee shirt and white jeans. It had rained the night before and the temperature was in the nineties. When he came in my office, he was filthy and sweaty, smelly and crying.  He said he was sick and tired of being sick and tired and was ready to let God work not only on his addiction, but on his life. He surrendered.

Larry is now clean and sober for over ten years.  He is reconciled and re-united with his wife and daughters.  They are all believers in Jesus Christ.  Larry is employed and recently purchased a home.

Posted in Homeless Ministry and tagged , , , , .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *